Denis Shine, Michael Potterton, Stephen Mandal, and Catherine McLoughlin
Four Courts Press, €24.95
Review Marie Therese Flanagan
This volume, comprising 12 chapters by 22 contributors, focuses on the ringwork of Carrick or Ferrycarrig, located approximately three kilometres north-west of Wexford town. It is the earliest named and dated Anglo-Norman fortification, set up in the winter of 1169. Although no archaeological evidence for pre-invasion occupation of the site has yet been uncovered, the name Carrick (Irish ‘rock’) is suggestive. The ringwork would be replaced by a stone castle, first mentioned in 1236, and a medieval borough and deer park also developed close to the site, which went into decline from the 14th century.
A major collaborative research project, ‘Digging the Lost Town of Carrig’, with an anticipated lifespan of 15 years, has been devised, and the early findings from a limited excavation undertaken by a teaching field school are presented here, together with broader essays contextualising the site within its surrounding archaeological and historical landscape.